Entry 2: Interview with Lynnie
Reflection
I have known Lynnie for at least 12 years, but we have never
discussed how she learned English after their family moved to the United
States. I knew that we both shared the same home language, Tamil, but was
unaware that she had no prior knowledge or exposure to English while she was
growing up in India. However I was aware that she was placed in ESL when she
started school here. I was extremely glad to hear that her teachers were
patient with her as she was learning English. In the text it states that “the
ways teachers organize their programs and practices helps students adjust to
the everyday practices, the system of values and beliefs, and the means and
manners of communication at school and in society” (Wright, 2015, p. 29). While
it was not mentioned in the video, I had asked Lynnie if she ever experienced
feeling like an outcast because she knew little to no English when she started
school here, but she quickly responded with “No I was so young when I began
learning and everyone around me was also young learning a language they knew
but still accepted me.” The inclusion that she experienced is due to her
teachers creating a language environment that fosters respect for differences,
which I think led to Lynnie’s attainment of the English language. Additionally,
Lynnie was a young child when she began learning English. According to Wright
(2015), “Young school-age children often have greater motivation, pressure,
needs, and opportunities to develop second language proficiency than adults”
(p. 50). In fact, once she began
learning English in school, through television and media, Lynnie started using
the language more at home, communicating in Tamil less to her parents. In fact,
Lynnie’s parents were able to learn English through her, and Lynnie now views
English as her first language.
Hello Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your video with Lynnie. I really found her journey to learning English fascinating. By watching your video, I learned a new language, Tamil. I am to hear Lynnie is still fluent in the language since she moved her when she was only three-years old. Many, like myself, tend to lose their native language from the repetition of English and communicating consistently in their native language. “The critical period hypothesis holds that language learning must take place during early childhood if an individual is to attain “native like” proficiency” (Wright, 2015, pg. 50). Excellent interview!
I would definitely say that Lynnie has reached native like proficiency in English. Even though I have known Lynnie for several years, I was completely shocked when she told me that she is not as confident in her first language as I assumed she was. I think this is a common generalization or misconception teachers might make when they see they have English language learners in their classroom. Teachers may assume all of their ELLs are fluent in their first language, but in Lynnie's case she is an exception. Even though she was not born in the United States, like you said, some children tend to lose their native language because of the exposure and consistently speaking in the second language.
DeleteHey! I think that it's great that Lynnie speak two languages. During the interview Lynnie stated that she continued to learn English because she had her parents support. She also said that she continued it because she was able to continue learning English by watching tv and talking to her friends at church. In his book Wright calls this "Language Socialization: which is the process by which individuals acquire the knowledge and practices that enable them to participate effectively in a language community"(Wright Ch.3 Pg.58). Meaning that Lynnie found ways of learning English as using every opportunity that she had. Which is probably why she speaks it well. Another things that jumped out at me is that your parents don’t want you to lose your primary language so they began to speak it at your house this is called "simultaneous bilingualism" (WRIGHT, Ch.1 pg. 4).
ReplyDeleteWright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.
DeleteMy parents are very similar to Lynnie's parents in that they wanted us to learn English because we live in the United States, and we would have better opportunities available to us in the future if we could speak and understand the language fluently. Although, as you mentioned, both of our parents continue to speak the native tongue, Tamil, in our households, so that we do not forget our cultural roots. When we read Chapter 1, Wright talks about identity. "ELLs formulate and reformulate their identities as they deal with and attempt to resolve the conflicts between what they encounter at home, in school, and in the dominant society culture" (Wright, 2015, p. 19). As for me, while my parents did want me to learn English, they also did not want me to forget the Tamil. Hence forth, growing up I had to find a balance between both language communities, and create an identity for myself that intertwined both languages because both Tamil and English are so prominent in my life.
DeleteHey Maggie, I believe that teachers need to stick to what the students know in order to be able to help them identify or transition from one language to another. I believe that it will be easier for the student to look for matching or similar words in their language and English than forgetting their language and just learning English. In his book Wright says " School...in contrast engage in pluralist (or multilingual) discourse by recognizing ELL's home languages and cultures as a rich resource for helping ELL's learning English and academic content"(Wright Ch.1 Pg.2-3).
DeleteHello Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed watching your video with Lynnie, and you did a really good job in the interview. I think that having some help from others can increase the language level when people try to learn a second language. As Lynnie said, she has teachers who have the patience for teaching her English and has others who have better English level than she did would understand her English. However, Lynnie mentioned that she was often learning English from watching TV or going to the computer. As Wright believes, teachers should not be afraid to embrace these new technologies in the classroom (2015, p. 249). I think that there should always have some technology in the classes, such as computers, iPads, and other useful learning technologies. It can generate a good interest for the students to learn a new language.
I think incorporating technology in the classroom can definitely benefit our English language learners! While some of our students will be foreign-born ELLs, and they might not have had previous access to technological devices, I still think teachers can find meaningful ways to use technology in the class to support ELLs language development and help them learn the content. For example, if classrooms were to have interactive whiteboards, ELLs would benefit from this because it is a great way for teachers to organize pictures and even videos that can assist ELLs to more fully understand new concepts.
DeleteHi Maggie!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed watching your second blog with your friend! I enjoy watching videos when the person does not speak spanish, i feel that alot of people automatically think that when people are bilingual that they must speak spanish and english , This isnt the case! Total immersion in the language helps (Wright 2015) ! being that Lynnie's teachers, church, tv, and friends all speak english, I also enjoyed seeing how she had a positive effect in school with her teachers, just like Fei stated I also think it would help students if the teachers took advantage of the technology in the class room!
THANKS FOR THE VID!
If I am being honest, even though I also speak Tamil, whenever I thought of ESL or bilingual classes, I always assumed they were specifically for native Spanish speakers. I am glad that you watched this interview and were able to learn about a new language. Lynnie was definitely immersed in the English speaking community as soon as she moved to the states. Unfortunately, she did not have any formal opportunities to continue to develop her native language, but just as "U.S.-born ELLs receive extensive exposure to English before beginning school..." Lynnie also received this exposure from church members, television, and friends (Wright, 2015, p. 18).
DeleteHi Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI loved learning about your friend's experience learning English! Although your friend Lynne feels more proficient in English now than her first language, I think that it is great that her parents still speak it at home and try to keep her loyal to her culture and native languages. Although I was not born in a different country and I learn my two languages simultaneously, I can relate to her because I too feel more confident and proficient in English. I think that it just depends on your experience growing up. It depends on how much time you spend speaking each language and interacting with people who speak the language. My husband learned English as a second language at a very young age, but because he constantly uses his native languages when he is talking with his parents, his brother, and other relatives I would say that he equally proficient in both English and Urdu.
I'm happy that her journey of learning English went so smoothly because she had understanding teachers and students that did not make her feel different because of her culture. According to Wright, ELL can experience a cultural and linguistic mismatch between their culture and home language and the school's culture and language. They are deprived when their school do not accept their values, customs, and integrate their differences ( 2015, p. 19).
I also learned Tamil and English simultaneously, but like you said based on the experiences you have growing up, I am definitely more confident in English than Tamil. I mentioned it in my introduction blog, but I can fully understand when my parents are speaking to me in Tamil, but I struggle to speak the language in return. My parents never forced me to only speak to them in Tamil, yet they always wanted me to try and reply to them in Tamil. The reason being is because they did not want me to forget the language as we travel to India occasionally and I need to be able to communicate with relatives, and because many of the interactions we have here are with Tamil people. I may have strategically assimilated into the American culture, but my parents are very much rooted in our Tamil culture. Luckily, I have no conflicts between either language groups. In fact, looping it back to Lynnie, she also assimilated quickly, but luckily enough her parents were supportive. Thus, there were not any deep conflicts at home, so she did not experience difficulties in her academics.
DeleteI love that your parents have allowed you to keep such close ties with your native language and culture. I think that it is essential as parents to not allow your children to fully adopt the American culture and not be aware of their parent cultural background and roots. I love that my father made sure to instill an appreciation and love for the Pakistani culture. I love that I am apart more than one culture and that I know more than 1 language and more aware of the diversity of our world. I think that diversity is beautiful and should be celebrated!
Delete