Entry 4: Reflection


My understanding of learning a second language is that there are many different factors that teachers must take into account when creating lesson plans such as socioeconomic status, ethnicity, students’ home language, prior schooling, etc. Therefore, as a future educator, I have come to the understanding that an important aspect of students being able to learn a second language is that their teachers need to make instruction comprehensible for their English language learners. “People acquire second languages only if they obtain comprehensible input and if their affective filters are low enough to allow the input in” (Krashen, 1985). Hence forth, when it comes to different content-area teachers, these teachers need to be able to differentiate their instruction or provide effective scaffolds that will allow all of their students to access the content equally. I now also understand the importance of providing students opportunities to interact with each other in meaningful conversations about the concept or topic being studied. For example, I plan on using the Think-Pair-Share strategy. “Think-Pair-Share provides built-in wait time in a low-risk environment” (Wright, 2015, p. 171). The reason why I believe this creates a low-risk atmosphere, and helps maintain a low affective filter in students is because ELLs do not have to feel pressured to speak in front of the whole group. They have time to practice responding to a prompt, using key vocabulary terms, and listening to their English proficient peers can help clarify any misconceptions, but can also help with pronunciation by hearing new terms they are unfamiliar with.

As for how this class will impact my professional practice, I have new funds of knowledge, particularly on how to make math instruction comprehensible for English language learners. While I already had plans to create an interactive word wall with my students to help provide visual support for learners so that they can receive daily practice using key terms learned throughout the course of the year, I have also learned that “Teachers can also make math comprehensible for ELLs with primary language support and technology designed to enhance or support math instruction” (Wright, 2015, p. 273). Before this class, I knew I wanted to integrate technology to improve student engagement, but this class has taught me how I can use software/computer programs to help improve ELLs academic and language development. Likewise, this class has instilled in me the importance of assessing student’s performance. Wright (2015) stated how “anecdotal records alerted me to students in need of extra assistance” (p. 140). Therefore, through formative and summative assessments, I will be able to pinpoint ELLs strengths and weaknesses, and adapt my instruction to enhance their learning. Likewise, keeping records will provide me with insight as to how ELLs are progressing, what strategies are working, or if any modifications need to be made. 

Now for future classes, I think more time and emphasis should be placed on making instruction comprehensible for students and assessing ELLs performance. A topic I think does not require as much attention is what teachers need to know about language. From what I have seen, many students who take this class are interested in teaching content areas such as math, science, social studies, music, etc. For this reason, I believe we deserve to spend more time on comprehensible input because soon we will be expected to teach ELLs that vary in their language proficiency levels. If we have not received information on how to provide high quality instruction, how can we expect to lead our students to achieve state standards and ELPS?

Last but not least, this course has impacted my teaching philosophy because I now have to take into consideration creating a positive learning environment for which ELLs will benefit. I have become more aware that I must plan and incorporate strategies for my future math classroom that will allow my ELLs to easily access the content, learn and acquire a new language, and feel like valuable members of the classroom community. In fact, I am definitely more mindful that within my mathematics classroom, I will have to offer guidance in ELLs writing, reading, listening, and speaking skills to support language development. Regardless of how challenging it may be, I understand I have to be resilient because ELLs are entitled to a high quality education, which can lead them to become successful members of society.

References:

Krashen, S.D. (1985). The input hypothesis: Issues and implications. London: Longman.
Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: Research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.


Comments

  1. Hello Maggie,
    It is so great to hear how many wonderful and beneficial information you have learned in our Second Language Methodology class. It was interesting you reflected on learning about students’ interactions that can build up to having meaningful conversations. I also believe as a future teacher, I want my students have many meaningful conversations. A wise person once told me, “The best teachers are the ones that do the least”, student centered is what my future classroom holds. According to Krashen (1985), “People acquire second languages only if they obtain comprehensible input and if their affective filters are low enough to allow the input “in” (pg. 4). As future teachers, it is great for English Language Learners to build meaningful conversations with their peers periodically for them to grow proficiency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respectfully, I disagree with that statement, "The best teachers are the ones that do the least." I do agree it is important to create opportunities for English language learners to engage in meaningful conversations with their classmates, but facilitating a productive classroom environment takes time and preparation. For example, I plan on teaching math, so if I want all of my students to engage in productive dialogue with each other about mathematical concepts being studied, I have to consider student responses, accommodating ELLs within the whole and small group discussions, and be ready to probe students' thinking with follow-up questions.

      Delete
    2. Hey Maggie,
      Reading your comments I totally agree with you. Students need to be able to do the things that they are expected to do with the help of the teacher. ELLs should not be throw out there left to fend for themselves. As teachers we need to show the students that they can trust us to help them learn the English language. If they do not have trust in us then why should they even try.

      Delete
    3. Hey Maggie,

      I agree facilitating a productive classroom could take time and preparation. In my 3rd grade classroom now, my English Language Learners have a difficult time generating their own thoughts and ideas because I feel they are not engaging in meaningful conversations consistently within small or whole group conversations. I believe their proficiency will build if they engaged more in conversation with their peers.

      Delete
  2. Maggie, I really appreciate how you mentioned affective filters in your reflection. As teachers, we can give great comprehensible input, but that would only prove to be successful if our ELLs’ affective filters are low enough. One way in which we can help lower our students’ affective filters is by getting to know them individually. If a student feels comfortable enough in your class, then it’ll be more likely that they ask questions for clarification or participate (Wright, 2015). I think that using think-pair-share in math class will prove to be very beneficial. Good luck on your future teaching career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting to know my students will always be a top priority for me, and after taking this course I understand now that by doing so can greatly impact my students' academic and social development. Particularly when it comes to ELLs, I know that they may enter the classroom with feelings of apprehension. Therefore it is my responsibility as an educator to create a safe space where they feel like valuable members of the classroom community. Moreover, I think all content area teachers should incorporate Think-Pair-Share into their classrooms because it is an easy way to get ELLs engaged and talking about the content either with a native speaker or an English proficient peer.

      Delete
  3. Hi Maggie, I liked how you pointed out that the strategies you learned from taking this class can also be used to help students in other subjects, such as Math. I also like the think pair share strategy as you stated in your reflection. Another technique I think can be used in other subjects is the five productive talk moves which are; revoicing, repeating, reasoning, adding on and waiting (Wright, 2015, p. 159). The reason I think these can be transferred into other classes is because it allows the teachers and students to gain clarity on what is being said by revoicing and repeating, it gives students the opportunity to think on their own and prompts discussions through reasoning, keeps students engaged through adding on and provides ample time for students to get their thoughts together and prepare an answer through waiting (Wright, 2015, p. 158-159). Being able to develop logical reasoning and support your argument is beneficial in all classes.

    Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research,
    Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.).Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry 2: Interview with Lynnie

Entry 3: Interview with Content Teacher